Airway Shield (AWS) SL is a Spanish medical device start-up company with headquarters in
Madrid (Spain) and with offices in Santander (Spain) and Brisbane (Australia).
Problem that AWS tackles
Endotracheal intubation is the 3rd most common medical procedure in Hospitals around the world. Globally, +100 million people are intubated every year. Yet, 45% of intubations in critically ill patients end in major complications such as severe hypoxemia, cardiovascular instability or cardiac arrest. Besides, 1 out of 3 anesthesiology claims are for dental injuries due to the intubation process.
Solution that AWS provides
They Airway Shield: A new medical device that provides safer endotracheal intubation by:
1) protecting the patient from injuries in the mucosa and dental pieces,
2) protecting the clinician from the aerosols, and
3) effectively guiding the tube to the patient’s trachea.
AWS has just started to commercialize the Airway Shield, the world’s first effective guide barrier device for endotracheal intubations. The actual challenge is to further develop the Airway Shield by continuous iterations, analyzing its usability and integrating feedback from the clinicians. There are also other developments and variations of the Airway Shield being developed and in the concept stage.
The applicant can expect
- Under the direction of the CEO or the CTO, integration of feedback and
implementation of improvements to the Airway Shield, and other developments.
- Management of Technical Files and Quality Management System, and Regulatory matters.
- Under the direction of the CEO or the CTO, whole iteration of Research and Development of new products: from the designing to the test, until the product is launched.
- Direct reporting to the CEO or the CTO.
- Career plan, including skill development and promotion.
- Bachelor degree in Biomedical Engineering.
- Ability to work, under the direction of the CEO or the CTO, in developing R&D strategies and executing them.
- Advanced level of both, Spanish and English.
- Capacity to work within the challenges of a start-up company, being able to perform within different areas of the business and deal with different professionals, within the company and outside the company.
- Masters or PhD in Biomedical Engineering
- Previous experience in developing medical devices
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary team and to lead, under the direction of the CEO or the CTO, the R&D developments
- Advanced level of other languages is a plus
Salary and other conditions
- Salary from 20k to 32k, depending on the experience of the candidate
- Based in Madrid. Posibility to negotiate a different temporary base if temporarely required.